Lieutenant William Strong

This is part of a series of essays about the First World War casualties commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in VirginiaThis account is incomplete, however, due to the process to digitise Canadian service records; it will be updated when his service record becomes available.

Lieutenant William Strong, Canadian Machine Gun Corps
Lieutenant William Strong, Canadian Machine Gun Corps

This is a fight for humanity and I want to be in it.’[1]

William Strong came from prominent family in Washington DC—his paternal grandfather, also William Strong, was an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.[2] His maternal grandfather, John Watkinson Douglass, had been President of the Board of Commissioners for Washington DC, as had his uncle, Henry Brown Floyd MacFarland. Reportedly, William Strong was the first man from Washington DC to volunteer to fight. He served with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in France, was gassed and died in 1919.

William Strong (centre), Princeton Cross Country, 1908
William Strong (centre), Princeton Cross Country, 1908

William Strong was born on 20 August 1887, in Washington DC, the only child of William Newton Strong, a barrister, and Josephine Strong (née Douglass), who had married in November 1886 after a long engagement. In June 1892, two months before Strong’s fifth birthday, his father died. Strong Jr attended the very best of schools—initially the prodigious Sidwell Friends School in Washington DC and then Hill School in Pottsdown, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Princeton University in 1911 and from George Washington University Law School in 1912. Like his father and grandfather, he became a lawyer—he went to work in the legal department of the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co.[3]

‘Billy’ Strong volunteered early in the war to fight with the Imperial forces, against the wishes of his friends, although the family, who had strong social ties with Canada, supported him. He enlisted in Toronto on 27 January 1915, and was reported as the first man from Washington DC to do so. In a letter written in the spring of 1919 to the conservative magazine Harvey’s Weekly he signed himself ‘one of America’s advance guard in the great war.’[4] He joined the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery in the second Canadian contingent as a Private with the regimental number 849, and was soon promoted to Bombardier.

After a period of training in Canada, the Battery moved to England and undertook further training at Shorncliffe in Kent before landing in France at the end of February 1916. The absence of his service record makes it difficult to confirm Stong’s movements over the next year or so but his is mentioned in a number of newspaper reports and magazine articles. A few days after his arrival in France, he was evacuated to England having suffered shell-shock when buried in a shelled dug-out.[5] After his recovery and attendance on machine gun training courses, he was posted to 7th Canadian Machine Gun Company in 7th Canadian Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division. He served with this unit until commissioned into the Canadian Machine Gun Corps on 27 June 1916, when he was posted to 11th Machine Gun Company in 11th Canadian Brigade, 4th Canadian Division.

While serving with 11th Machine Gun Company, Strong fell ill with influenza in January 1917. He subsequently contracted pleurisy in April for which he was treated at No.20 General Hospital at Camiers before being evacuated to 1st London General Hospital at Camberwell. His mother sailed to England to join him, arriving on 3 July at Liverpool on the armed passenger liner SS St Louis. Unfit for further duty, Lieutenant Strong was sent home from Liverpool on the hospital ship SS Araguaya,[6] arriving in Quebec City on 25 September. His mother arrived at Halifax the same day aboard the troopship SS Justicia.[7]

Mother and son journeyed to the summer home of his mother’s sister, Mrs Henry McFarland, at Cap a L’Aigle in Quebec, where he continued his convalescence until the autumn, when he entered the Laurentian Chest Hospital at Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts—well known for its clean air and for the treatment of tuberculosis. Early in the summer of 1918 when his condition had improved, Strong returned to Cap a L’Aigle and it seemed that he had beaten the disease but he was struck down by influenza, which set back his recovery considerably. He returned to the Laurentian Chest Hospital at Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts. In October 1919, in the hope that drier air would enhance his chances of recovery, he moved with his mother to Pasadena in California.

It was there that William Strong died of tuberculosis on Sunday 21 December 1919, aged 32. His body remained in California until the spring of 1920 when it was brought back to Washington DC.

His funeral service was held at 5.00pm on 10 April 1920 at the Church of the Covenant. The pulpit, like his casket, was draped with British and American flags and a contingent of Canadian officers and soldiers acted as pall bearers.

The grave of Lieutenant William Strong
The grave of Lieutenant William Strong

William Strong was buried in Arlington National Cemetery (Section 3, Grave 4113-NH) on 12 April. His grave was originally marked with a private memorial, which has since been replaced by a Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone.

Josephine Stone died on 8 May 1938, aged 77, and, on 10 May, was buried with her son; an stone slab inset at the foot of the grave commemorates her burial.

The gravestone for Josephine Douglass Strong in Arlington National Cemetery
The gravestone for Josephine Douglass Strong in Arlington National Cemetery

William Strong is commemorated in the Memorial Atrium in Nassau Hall, Princeton and the Class of 1911 established the William Strong Memorial Scholarship in his memory; this endowment scholarship is still awarded. He is commemorated on page 543 of the Canadian First World War Book of Remembrance.

1. (Back) ‘Lieut. W. Strong Jr. Dies in California.’ (23 December 1919). The Evening Star. p 3.
2. (Back) Justice William Strong was born on 6 May 1808 in Connecticut and graduated from Yale University in 1828. In 1846, he was elected to the United States House of Representatives as an abolitionist Democrat and served two terms. He was elected to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1857, where he served until 1868. Following the death of Edwin Stanton, four days after his confirmation by the United States Senate, Strong was nominated for the United States Supreme Court; he was sworn in on 14 March 1870.He served as an Associate Justice until 14 December 1880, when he retired and returned to private practice. He died at Lake Minnewassa in New York on 19 August 1895, aged 87.
3. (Back) ‘The Alumni.’ (14 March 1918). Princeton Alumni Weekly. Volume 14, No. 23, p 447.
4. (Back) ‘Your Monument – If You Believe’. (19 April 1919). Harvey’s Weekly. Volume 2, number 16, p 14.
5. (Back) Although his injuries and hospitalisation are mentioned in various newspaper reports, a summary of his service may be found in the Princeton University magazine: ‘The Alumni.’ (21 January 1920). Princeton Alumni Weekly. Volume 20, No. 15, p 362.
6. (Back) HMHS Araguaya was one of five ships chartered by Canada for use as hospital ships—the others were Essiquibo, Llandovery Castle, Letitia, and Neuralia. The SS Araguaya was owned by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co Ltd until 1926. By 1940 she was in use with Compagnie Générale Transatlantique as the SS Savoie II. She was sunk during the Battle of Casablanca on 8 November 1942 by USS Massachusetts.
7. (Back) SS Justicia was sunk by UB-64 and UB 124 on 19/20 July 1918 off the coast of Scotland while travelling unladen to New York.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s