The original memorial in the Cambois Workmen’s Social Club and Institute—a wooden triptych made from wood from HMS Britannia which was broken up in Blyth in 1917—was dedicated in a ceremony on Sunday 5 October 1919. Two hundred and seventy-eight men from the village had enlisted during the course of the war—55 were killed or died. The names of all of those who had enlisted were included on the memorial. The building and the memorial were destroyed in a fire on 6 July 1928.
This new brick and stone memorial, at St Andrew’s church, was dedicated on 23 July 1932 by the Bishop of Newcastle, Harold Bilbrough. It was rededicated in 2014.
On it James Metcalf is recorded as ‘J Metcalfe’.
(Photo Steve Ellwood)